Ever have one of your episodes of Hand-In-Hair Syndrome and come across a tiny bulge on a strand of hair and go “what the what?!” Well, what you have, my friends, is a single-strand knot… also affectionately called a “fairy knot”. The “science” behind these lil buggers is all in the name- a single strand of hair creates a knot on itself. Yup, your curly hair strands are just so friendly with one another *crickets* sometimes so overly friendly that they get all intermingled and eventually form knots.
Yes, they can be quite annoying and you’re probably wondering if you can prevent them at all. Thing is, with natural hair, especially the curlier or kinkier the hair is and the longer your hair gets, they’re pretty much inevitable *shrug*. Sorry kids. BUT here are some things I do to lessen their uprising:
- Regular trims is one of the best ways, in my opinion. Everyone’s routine is different so how often trims are needed will differ- usually anywhere from 3-6 months.
- I’ll normally find these knots towards my ends so I wear protective styles to keep those ends, well… protected. 0_0
- Wearing stretched styles so that the hair doesn’t curl up on itself as much, thereby lessening the chance of knots forming.
- Sealing those ends!! I experience less knots when I seal my ends with some Jamaican Black Castor Oil then tuck ’em away in a protective style.
- When I find em, I CUT ‘EM! Sometimes, I go on a “search-and-destroy mission” to get rid of those suckers once and for all!
I absolutely LOVE the way MsVcharles breaks it down in this-here video! She shows us eight ways to control the inevitable fairy knot, all of which actually go a long way in natural hair health overall! She’s brief, informative and entertaining. YOU GO VEE!! 😉
Let’s talk! Do you experience single strand knots? How do you deal with them?
Talk with you soon curlies!