Our resident natural hair care professional Simeko Watkins-Hartley answers…
What do you recommend for dry and itchy scalp?
Dry and itchy scalp is usually a sign of your body’s way of letting you know that something is off balance. It can be caused by a number of things; environment, poor diet, stress, internal issues, etc. So the first step in finding a solution is finding the cause. Here are some questions you may want to ask yourself:
● Do I have any medical conditions or taking any medication that may cause dry, itchy scalp?
● Am I getting the proper nutrition (vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids) through my diet daily? Am I drinking enough water daily?
● Am I using the right products/ingredients for my skin type? Am I properly moisturizing and oiling my scalp?
● Can my external environment be causing my dry scalp?
Here are some practical suggestions that may help you with getting your scalp back to normal:
● Eating well balanced meals, drinking lots of water and exercising (yes, exercising) can help give your body everything is needs to combat internal issues which can result in a healthier scalp.
● Be consistent (at least 2x a month) with conditioning treatments. Try adding natural oils into your treatment like Olive, Almond, Coconut, Evening Primrose, Perilla, and Rice Bran. These oils have properties that help nourish and sooth dry scalp.
● Gently brush your scalp with a natural bristle toothbrush daily. Scalp brushing is excellent for a number of reasons; Exfoliation, Circulation, Stimulation, and Sebum Regulation. All of which aids in maintaining a healthy scalp.
● Use mild or pH balanced shampoos that don’t contain harsh ingredients, like sulfates, that can strip moisture from your scalp. When cleansing your scalp/hair, try using warm water instead of hot. Hot water strips your scalp and hair of its natural oils.
So go ahead and try any or all of the suggestions mentioned above and let us know if you notice any changes. And remember, the key is consistency!
Owner & Creative Director of Meko, New York Natural Hair Care Spa & Boutique
Disclaimer: This information serves as a guide to inform, inspire and encourage women, like myself, to regain and maintain their healthiest hair possible.
What remedies have YOU used to combat dry, itchy scalp?